Is the thought of paperwork filling you with dread?
Most trade and construction businesses that we speak to, are looking for a better way to manage their paperwork, so that they can spend less time on admin and more time growing their business or with their families.
Here are some common mistakes that we see trade and construction businesses make regarding paperwork, and some practical ways that you can fix them.
No System in place
Standardise your process
- Deal with a piece of paper only once.
- Have a filing system, not a pile, and file the paperwork when it arrives.
- Make sure you keep everything in one place, not some things on your desk, some in your ute and some in your head.
- If you have a paper based system, then think about moving to an electronic one so that you cut out the printing and filing.
- Get rid of paperwork that is not relevant, whether that be paper or electronic.
Not setting deadlines
| Create a timetable for doing your paperwork|
- Schedule fixed time to work on paperwork and stick to these. If you don’t, then you run the risk of thinking that you have an unlimited amount of time to complete tasks.
- Create a timetable that outlines what you are going to do and when. For example, do invoicing every Thursday, and then you know that you need to do supplier invoices on Wednesday.
- Be realistic about what you can achieve.
Continuing as they have always done
| Make use of the right applications to streamline paperwork|
- Automate your paperwork as much as possible, including:
- Receive your supplier invoices, including subcontractors, via email.
- Use applications to automatically load them into your accounts.
- Get timesheets directly into your payroll system.
- Linking your quoting and invoicing systems.
- Implementing easy ways for your client to pay, so you don’t spend time chasing money.
Thinking they have to do it all
| Engage others to help|
- Find temporary support to get through the backlog.
- A bookkeeper to manage the accounts, payments and BAS
- Outsource collection of outstanding money.
- Engage a receptionist to take your calls and book appointments.
Clever Cow helps trades people & construction companies build more efficient and profitable businesses.
We provide a range of services that reduce the day-to-day challenges, improve business performance and increase profit. Our services include business strategy, consulting, marketing and outsourced administration support.
If you would like more information, call Clever Cow on (02) 9981 3137 or contact us here.